Cancellation of Newton's Fraction and Little Apple for 4 March 2018
With regret Grantham Athletic Club have taken the decision to cancel the half marathon
and fun run due to adverse weather conditions and following a risk assessment of
the stadium, course and taking into account the travelling conditions for runners
Subsequent notices will appear on the Fraction Facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/Newtons-Fraction-Half-Marathon-497034020389342/?ref=page_internal
Statement on the cancellation of the Newton’s Fraction and Little Apple races, 4
Following the decision to cancel the Newton’s Fraction half marathon and Little Apple
fun run, Grantham Athletic Club would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone
who has commented and responded to our news and emails.
A number of enquiries have been asked about refunds and whether the race will be
re-scheduled. To clarify one of these – the race application had terms and conditions
which were applicable to electronic applications:
`I agree that the organisers will in no way be held responsible for any injury, accidents,
losses, costs or damage action claims which may arise as a result of my taking part
or from the cancellation or postponement of the event .
Parents / guardians for participants under 18 also confirm that they have given consent
for the person registering to participate in the event.
I also understand that entry fees are non-refundable.
No refunds can be given if the race has to be cancelled or postponed due to circumstances
outside the race organisers’ control.`
Unfortunately, the `Beast from the East` has had a substantial effect upon the stadium,
the canal towpath and the course and these conditions looked very unlikely to improve
through the weekend. Safety for runners, volunteers and contractors has been paramount
in the decision we have had to make.
As for a re-schedule, the club will need to consider the implications for this over
the coming weeks. The very late notice to cancel the race will mean the fees and
charges from contractors will need to be made. It is estimated that majority of the
costs to run the race will be billed for. Any decision on a re-schedule will need
to factor for busy race diaries, applications for licences and road closures (a minimum
13 week application timeframe).
We appreciate how popular the race is and how important this decision has been. Thank
you for your forbearance with this disappointing decision, but a necessary one under
these circumstances in Lincolnshire.
Philip Garner, Race Director on behalf of Grantham Athletic Club.